The RDEK is already getting their ducks in a row for September’s Union of BC Municipalities convention.
The Regional District has compiled a list of 14 issues they hope to discuss with Cabinet Ministers in Vancouver.
– Invasive Plants Control
– Ecological Goods and Services Compensation
– Columbia Valley Recreation Access Management Plan
– Elko Dam
– Left Turn Lane on HWY 3 at Bate Ave. and Burton Lake Rd (near Elko)
– Future of Resort Municipality Initiative Program
– Status of Jumbo as a Municipality
– Condition of HWY 93/95 between Radium and Invermere
– Columbia Headwaters Community Forest update
– Westside Rd. rehabilitation of lower section
– Columbia Valley Branding & Marketing update
– Windermere Treated Water Project update
– HWY 3 Mayors’ and Chairs’ Committee
– Natural Resource Officers
The UBCM aims to provide a common voice for local and regional governments.
RDEK Board Chair Rob Gay says they try to be prepared as possible to make the most of the face to face meetings.
Gay says there’s not a lot of small talk and they get right to the issues at hand.
He recalls in past years Ministers would say yes or no right to their faces and they appreciate the honesty as they just want a decision either way.
The Board Chair says often they can come to solutions but they don’t always get a decision from their provincial counterparts and sometimes the short exchanges lead to future meetings where they can hash out the issue further.
However, Gay points out this year may be different as the NDP take over government following 16 years of dealing with a Liberal cabinet.
– RDEK Board Chair Rob Gay