The Cranbrook Fire service is not concerned with resident’s composting habits after a small bush fire erupted Sunday.
The fire department’s Scott Driver says crews were called to a blaze at the edge of the community forest after residents noticed smoke coming from a compost pile.
“A number of residents in the area had been putting their compost in one central location for quite a few years in the row now and we got a call in the middle of the hot Sunday afternoon to come to smoke coming out of that pile,” Driver says. “We would just assume that the compost self-combusted in the heat and the dry conditions.”
Driver says this is a rare occurrence and doesn’t believe residential piles are dangerous.
“Its the first time that I’ve seen it in my career here with the fire service, especially home compost piles,” Driver says. “It does accompany the significant fire risk that we are facing right now with the current hot and dry conditions that have been going on for an extended period of time.”
Driver says the forest is very dry and the heat and wind could cause more fires.
He says people need to be observant of any smoke within city limits.
– Cranbrook Fire Deputy Director, Scott Driver
– Jeff Johnson