The results of tests on dogs that died after visiting Cranbrook’s Community Forest show a foreign toxic substance was involved.
This from Steeples Veterinary Clinic following examinations at the Animal Health Diagnostic Center at Cornell University in New York State.
Manager Andrew Skaien says results show a poison was found in two animals.
He believes the substance is not natural to the park and could be connected to criminal activity.
“What we were able to find out was that it wasn’t something environmental, its not something naturally occurring in the Community Forest,” Skaien says. “It is some sort of poison that’s in there, so the implication is that its left there by humans.”
Skaien is advising pet owners to be cautious of the park or avoid it all together.
RCMP confirm they continue to look into what they call a suspected criminal matter, but say there are many unknowns at this time.
Police say there are no suspects and they haven’t ruled out the possibility of another animal dragging the substance into the forest.
They believe the substance is a chemical used by private property owners to kill coyotes.
– Steeples Veterinary Clinic Manager, Andrew Skaien