The evacuation ORDER for the Corbin area has been downgraded to an evacuation ALERT for 10 properties in the community of Corbin and Teck’s Coal Mountain Mine property.
It is important for people within the ALERT area to remain prepared and follow updates on the Leach Creek Fire. In addition, anyone wishing to remove recreational vehicles from the area is encouraged to remove them now in the event that conditions worsen and an order needs to be re-issued.
A map of the ALERT area is available on the RDEK’s website and includes the portion of Corbin Road in Electoral Area A and the community of Corbin. The District of Sparwood has issued an evacuation alert in connection with the same fire. The District’s ALERT area covers the Coal Mountain Mine property and a small portion to the northeast.
The Leach Creek fire remains estimated at 30 hectares in size and is burning in the vicinity of Corbin Road.
The following orders and alerts remain in place:
• Cross River Fire Evacuation ORDER – affects 9 properties on Settlers Road / Cross River Forest Service Road
• Lost Dog Complex (formerly Ta Ta Creek Fire) Evacuation ALERT – affects 121 properties in the Ta Ta Creek Area
• Meachen Creek / St. Mary Lake Area – Evacuation ALERT – affects 65 rural properties in Electoral Area E in the St. Mary Valley.
• Randal Creek Fire (near Yahk) Evacuation ALERT – affects 1 rural property in Electoral Area C
For the latest status of wildfires, visit http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status
– From the Regional District of East Kootenay